Thursday, June 23, 2011

From parasols to umbrellas, stories on a rainy day

Talking about summer time in Seoul is a tricky thing. Friends who know that I've come from a tropical country like the Philippines would say that perhaps I like the warm to hot weather in Seoul. Well, well, well I really like hot weather becuase it is nice fo walk around and many new things come into view, like stylish parasols in many women' hands that cover their heads from direct sunlight, short-sleve shirts, t-shirts and shorts. Different kinds of smells both sweet and offensive your nose can detect including the odor of sewers and street canala rise in the air. Making a place distinctly different from the others.

It has been raining since yesterday and travelling in Seoul by the subway train and bus always gives me a sense of curiosity like what is the predominating color of umbrellas I would see today, unsurprisingly it's black, oh yeah for parasols it was off-white. When it rains in Seoul almost every person carries an unbrella and some people can't anticipate how high or low they should hold their umbrellas as they approach or walk along other people. In my case I would raise my umblella above other umbrellas, at times turn it sideways. Unfortunately using an umbrella can be inconvenient but is there a new way of covering yourself from the rain? What about a smart umbrella, one that can come out of a shirt, if not from a bag? This is something to invent or just to imagine.

No comments:

With you, I am well pleased

Sermon Title: “With you, I am well pleased” UCCP Maasin City, Southern Leyte 10 January 2021 Texts: Isaiah 55: 1-13; Mark 1: 4-11 Isaiah 55:...