Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Speaking of the time and place of distress

Tonight as I draw close to the day's end, that is, I'm about to sleep I am bothered about the incidents that took place last Sunday. I remember the Bible Study session we had in Itaewon which was focused on Psalm 116. Although the materials I had from exegetes gave me a somewhat morbid picture, it is however balanced by the resounding praise and thanksgiving. Listen to some of the lines:

The cords of death entanged me, the anguish of the grave came upon me; I was overcome by trouble and sorrow. Then I called on the name of the Lord: "O Lord save me! Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the Lord has been good to you." (Ps. 116: 3, 7)

Considering that all human beings are created in God's image, the abnormal behavior of human beings are caused either by genetic or social defects. In the past family life is considered a safe haven for persons, especially the young. It has change a lot in modern times. That is the very reason why a house can be home but a home cannot be a house. The very foundation of a home is love, respect and peace. When there is a lack of love whether romantic, philial or agape, it is a miserable family life. If there is a growing commoditization of human relationships, we have no one to blame but ourselves who have fell into the trap of capitalist value system. I believe that international marriages can succeed if there is love and respect, but it cannot survive if at the very beginning it was not motivated by love or the willingness to love.

Filipino women married to Korean men who are in disturbed psychological situation are in one way or the other verbally, physically or sexually abused. The cultural differences is heightened when a man would think that "he bought a wife". A kind of investment and that must give a man joy and satisfaction at his own terms. This kind of mentality will not bring about a happy marriage. Frequent quarrel will result from this, and eventual separation, when one of the partner's tolerance has run out.

Women in this kind of situation is having an existential death--as in having a difficult time with adjusting and understanding their abusive husbands. It is my hope, as we all hope that our friends who are undergoing this "death experiences" will one day rise above it and victoriously praise saying:


In the courts of the house of the Lord--in your midst, O Jerusalem Praise the Lord.(Ps. 116:19)

No comments:

With you, I am well pleased

Sermon Title: “With you, I am well pleased” UCCP Maasin City, Southern Leyte 10 January 2021 Texts: Isaiah 55: 1-13; Mark 1: 4-11 Isaiah 55:...