Thursday, March 31, 2005

"Feed My Lambs"

Jesus and the disciples meet again by the shore of the Sea of Galilee. There was a miraculous catch of fish that morning and Jesus had breakfast with them. After breakfast, they talked. Jesus asked Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord he said, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." This was followed by two more questions of the same content and intention and Peter said, "Lord you know all things; you know that I love you"(John 21:15-17).

It is on this resurrection event that Jesus verbalized the concept of love among his disciples. Although the teaching about love for one's neighbor and love for one's enemies was given outstanding treatment in his teachings, there was not much articulation on how the disciples should relate with him and with fellow disciples and with the anticipated followers. In many actual life situations, teachers, professors, and all those who are engage in the teaching and nurture of other people especially the young, seldom verbalize their love for their learners and inversely the learners to their teachers. Most often they express it in ways which shows their genuine concern for the students or learners.

Taken in the Christian ethical point of view, Jesus asked Peter if he is willing to bear witness to the love which he himself experienced in the three years ministry they had. Jesus did not intellectualize his relationships with the disciples, nor dwell solely on their capacity to feel. In this sciptural passage, we can feel with Peter how it is to answer a question of intention and commitment. It is just like standing in a wedding ceremony and being asked questions of commitment and you are expected to say "I do."

Every day, we are confronted with the question of intention and commitment. In the midst of growing commodification of labor and life itself, we are always deluded to think that we are no longer bound by the commitments, but human beings capable of making choices. Social contracts no longer seem to be expressions of good intention and commitment but are instruments of gaining profit and control. It is my hope that again and again I will be confronted with the question "Frank, do you love me more than this?" and deep down in my heart and soul I will answer Christ, "You know that I love you."

No comments:

With you, I am well pleased

Sermon Title: “With you, I am well pleased” UCCP Maasin City, Southern Leyte 10 January 2021 Texts: Isaiah 55: 1-13; Mark 1: 4-11 Isaiah 55:...