Thursday, March 31, 2005

Reading without understanding

I am reminded of my lessons in biblical studies that in order to understand the printed Scripture, you have to consider the various obstacles or barriers in comprehending the printed text. One on the barriers is culture, that includes the original languages on which the Bible were originally written, values, norms and mores of the writers and their intended audience. There is always the possibility of reading the Bible without understanding.

I have resisted several times taking my part in reading the Bible in Korean language in the daily office devotional-meeting. My justification is that I don't want to read the Bible without understanding it. Being integrated into a particular culture is to be able to speak their language. I agree with this fact of life. Not speaking fluently the language of the people where you work does not necessarily mean you don't like their culture. It is rather attributed to the lack of skill and the lack of opportunity to learn it systematically.

Today the bank teller facilitated my transaction. All the while she thought I am transacting a some kind of Korean currency to U.S. dollar money exchange or what. Then I told her this transaction is for a person living in Kyonggi province. She realized that what she's telling me to do was not correct. The transaction was simpler than she thought. What a pity, oftentimes our well-focused attention to all things Korean or all things English can complicate matters.

This reminds me of Isaiah's statement on the possibility of Israel to go back to their own land because the time has come when God will restore them to their land and many had doubted it. He says "Who has understood the mind of the Lord, or instructed him as his counselor?" (Isa. 40:13ff). While it is important to be literate, it is extremely important as well to comprehend and be understanding, for nobody knows what is in the mind of a person.

No comments:

With you, I am well pleased

Sermon Title: “With you, I am well pleased” UCCP Maasin City, Southern Leyte 10 January 2021 Texts: Isaiah 55: 1-13; Mark 1: 4-11 Isaiah 55:...